THE LADIES AUXILIARY BRANCH 129 HALIBURTON
The Ladies Auxiliary Branch 129, Haliburton was chartered on February 5, 1945 when 30 ladies were initiated. The record from those early years were lost in the fires of 1952 and 1963 so a complete list of the charter members is gone. On the day of the fire in 1952, the ladies were preparing a spaghetti & meatball supper. This under conditions that we would not appreciate today. The building was heated by a wood stove, water had to be carried from a pump outside, members had to bring their own pots, pans, dishes etc. Not easy, but they made it fun through good companionship.
The next hall was better equipped building. The members were able to help our Legion Branch grow from their meager beginnings to its present state. Catering, bazaars, carnivals, bingos and many other activities were the order of the day, and the Auxiliary began to grow. Again a fire in 1963 destroyed that building. With enthusiasm running high, members rolled up their sleeves and a new building rose, to become the building we are in today.
In 1977, a Wintario Grant was approved and everyone pitched in to help raise the $300,000.00 needed for the expansion. On November 11, 1978, the new addition was dedicated in conjunction with the Remembrance Day and the 50th Anniversary of the Branch.
Through "thick and thin", "trials and victories", the Auxiliary has an outstanding history, one to be proud of. We continue to strive to live up to our motto: "SERVICE-ABOVE SELF-FOR OTHERS"